Who We Are
Trinity Presbyterian Church, Herndon, VA, with a membership of about 750, is a fellowship of Christians from various faith backgrounds that comes together to worship, study, and share in service to fulfill the mission of Christ. Our church is a caring family where all are welcome. Trinity is an inclusive, reconciling congregation which welcomes into its membership all persons who profess faith in Jesus Christ regardless of race, age, gender, disability, sexual orientation, or economic status. We invite you to join with us in ministry, mission, and fellowship.
WHAT WE BELIEVE
As a congregation of the Presbyterian Church (USA), we affirm the sovereignty of God over every facet of human life. As disciples of Jesus Christ, we seek to equip ourselves in God's love and truth. We believe that through worship and engagement with other Christians, you can renew and strengthen your faith here at Trinity and grow in your understanding of God and service to the Lord.
We believe that Christ calls us to service, both to one another and to our community. We encourage involvement both in church programs and community organizations that serve the spiritual and/or physical needs of those less fortunate. Volunteerism and giving of our "time, talent, and financial blessings" are key elements of our Christian values.
We seek to display these values in many ways, including Worship, Christian Education, and various Church-Based and Community-Based opportunities.
MISSION AND VISION
Our Mission is to:
- Serve God and our neighbor, wherever or whoever he or she may be;
- Offer a place where people can gather for worship, fellowship, support, and prayer;
- Reach out and tell of the love, forgiveness, and grace offered through Jesus Christ;
- Be faithful stewards of all that God has provided;
- Support those in need through personal actions and service projects;
- Teach and preach the tenets of the Christian faith;
- Provide Christian education opportunities for people of all ages, from toddler through adulthood; and
- Be responsive to the Holy Spirit wherever God leads.
Our Vision is to:
- Grow spiritually, both individually and as a community of believers;
- Maintain and develop new mission programs to serve the community, both locally and worldwide;
- Discern where God is leading us and respond accordingly; and
- Grow in Christian discipleship, whether financially, adding to our membership, or in personal commitment to whatever God calls us to do.
Trinity Presbyterian Church of Herndon symbolizes quite dramatically one of the dominant, new religious overtones of our times - a spirit of Christian unity. The present congregation is the product of two unusual mergers among three historic, former congregations... the Herndon Congregational Church, the First Presbyterian Church of Herndon, and the Floris Presbyterian Church. On July 10, 1949, the Herndon Congregational Church joined with the First Presbyterian Church, resulting in a congregation of 108. Trinity Presbyterian came into being in 1959 when the congregation of Floris Presbyterian joined. Since the 1959 merger, resulting in a congregation of 217 persons, the church has expanded and grown considerably. Today, Trinity Presbyterian has a membership of about 750. In 2009, Trinity celebrated its 50th anniversary. Our members come from several surrounding communities, primarily from Herndon, Reston, Sterling, and Great Falls. We welcome diverse interests, backgrounds, and viewpoints in our commitment to serve God and all of God’s creation.
To read more about Trinity's history, click to see Trinity's 50th Anniversary Book.